Under the scheme:
- Vehicles can be used at any time for any purpose, other than for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward.
- A log book entry must be made each day that the vehicle is used (unless the vehicle is within 100 metres of the garaged address).
- The entry must be made PRIOR to the journey commencing.
- The logbook MUST be carried in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is in use.
- You can apply for either a 45 or 90 day Permit. If you get a 45 day Permit, and use up your 45 days, you can extend your permit for another 45 days use.
The fee is only $153.90 for 90 days usage per year or $79.60 for 45 days usage, compared with up to $800 for normal registration.
- You can not drive your vehicle for more than 90 days in each permit period. Permits are issued for 12 months.
- Vehicles are issued with specific club permit plates and windscreen labels.
- VicRoads may suspend or cancel a permit if you cease to be a financial member of Motafrenz, or if your car becomes unsafe for use on public highways.
Which vehicles are eligible?
- Veteran – manufactured before 1 January 1919;
- Vintage – manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931
- Classic and Historic vehicles – manufactured after 31 December 1930, but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a club permit.
- Includes cars, trailers, trucks, and some other modified vehicles such as street rods.
- Replicas of vehicles in the above-mentioned categories may also be eligible
Putting your car onto Club Permit Scheme for the first time:
- Join Motafrenz. Remember, your Club Permit Scheme becomes invalid if you cease to be a current financial member.
- Go to the VicRoads website and follow all their steps, download and print the required Club Permit Scheme forms.
- Obtain a Road Worthy Certificate [RWC] for your car.
- Contact the Club Permit Officer to organise a car inspection: Michael Frith, email: permits (at) motafrenz.com.au. Remember to take the forms you downloaded from the VicRoads website.
- Once the car has been inspected and the forms signed, take all forms to a VicRoads Office, pay the fees and VicRoads will issue you with your new Club plates (somtimes referred to as ‘H’ plates or red plates), windscreen sticker and logbook.
- Once you have your Club plates be sure to email the Club Permit Officer with the plate number and the expiry date.
- You and your car will have to attend to at least ONE Motafrenz event per year.
Renewing Your Club Permit:
- Contact the Permit Officer, Michael Frith, email: permits (at) motafrenz.org.au
- The Permit Officer will organise to get a copy of your renewal forms and sign the VicRoads Permit Renewal and send it back to you.
- The Club reserves the right to request to see and inspect the car at any time – including when you renew your Club Permit.
- A reminder: you and your car will have to attend to at least ONE Motafrenz event per year.
We recommend the RACV Veteran, Vintage and Classic Car Insurance. It has reasonable premiums paid by the month and it includes 24H Extra Care Roadside Assistance. Call 1800 646 605 or visit their website for more info and to get a quote.